Sage Hospitality Group Hotel General Manager in Austin, Texas
Sage Hospitality Group is set to hire a Hotel General Manager at the Hotel Van Zandt.
Located in the Rainey Street District, Hotel Van Zandt features 319 guest rooms and more than 25,000 square feet of meeting space. You can enjoy live music at our featured restaurant onsite, Geraldine’s, host pool parties, or check out one of the many pop-up events. Join us here to make a difference!
As part of Sage Hospitality Group, we passionately strive to be the best and create excellence in everything we do. We believe in enriching lives one experience at a time. More than a slogan, we empower our employees to make positive impacts on the communities in which we live and work. By providing genuine service we build relationships with our guests and value for our shareholders, and we create unforgettable experiences.
We are looking for independent thinkers. Those who harness their entrepreneurial spirit so that it breaks preconceived notions. We’re not afraid to forge our own path. After all, it’s what industry leaders do. That’s why we welcome risk takers and creative spirits alike. No matter your daily role, Sage recognizes that your success is about more than the work you do—it’s really about who you are, which is why we invest in your personal and professional growth. We hope you consider joining us!
Overall management responsibility for the operation of the hotel including profitability, guest service,
product quality, and overall cleanliness and maintenance of the hotel property. Operation of the hotel will
be within the framework of approved 1) annual budget, 2) annual marketing plan, 3) annual capital
expenditure plan, 4) annual wage plan, and always within the framework of all Company policies and
- Lead the Executive Committee utilizing a participative style: be readily available and effectively
communicate with each member, coordinate the operation of each individual's department and
special projects, and assist in identifying problems and solutions.
- Guide the committee in dealing with the hotel's problems and opportunities in order to best serve
the financial interests of the property.
- Development of annual operating budget which will serve as an operating plan and define
required levels of achievement.
- Assure achievement of annual budget in revenues, costs and profits through accounting diligence
and expenditure controls and proficient accounting practices.
- Set written priorities and key objectives for each department head quarterly including action plan
and completion date.
- Follow up to assure successful implementation and follow-through and take corrective action in
the event of failure to meet assigned objectives.
Monthly forecasting of operating staff and cost expenditures.
Business planning in line with forecasted sales and costs including guidance to department heads.
P & L Statement Critique
- Monthly review of financial statement in order to correct problems, assure spending is in line and
to plan for future business.
Review and approve all expenses in "other expense" categories in all departments.
Regularly review all major expenses to assure that monies are wisely expended.
- Develop a high level of esprit de corps and loyalty to the hotel and to the company in order to
reduce turnover and increase employee morale.
Communicate, counsel and assist in staff development.
Be visible and available to all hourly personnel in accordance with the Company's open door policy.
Attend monthly department employee meetings whenever possible.
Conduct performance appraisal and personal development plans for management staff.
Identify substandard performance of individual managers and outline improvement action,
including taking corrective or disciplinary measures.
- Assure level of experience, knowledge and ability to meet job requirements of all hotel
- Cost Controls Review controls and assure adherence at all times in order to protect the hotel's
Wage and Salary Administration
- Review all wage and salary increases assuring compliance with wage scales and compensation
philosophies as outlined in the Company's management manuals.
- Quarterly review of pricing including review of cost increases and competitive pricing in room
rates, restaurant, lounge and banquet areas.
- Assure recommendation and implementation of price increases on a timely basis.
- Regular personal inspection of guest rooms, public areas, back of house, banquet function set-ups.
Assure that written lists are developed of corrective actions required for implementation by
housekeeping, maintenance and operating departments.
- Guest service through leadership and example, establish a friendly, courteous, service-oriented
approach to guests that is exhibited by all hotel employees.
- Establish and implement guest service standards for all departments, periodically review, identify
problems and corrective actions.
- Assure that an on-going program is followed in regular repair and upkeep of the facility, landscape
and equipment by developing and implementing a preventive maintenance program.
Development of annual sales and marketing plan.
Monitor implementation of marketing plan action steps.
- Regular review of sales solicitation activities, room nights productivity and group room rates sold
by the sales department.
Regularly review individual productivity taking corrective action and guiding as needed.
Evaluate market mix and take action in order to best position the hotel for increased business.
Involvement in sales solicitation of key accounts by reviewing contracts, meeting with sales
department, visit key account contacts in person and by phone.
- Future Business Quarterly review of future bookings of room nights and banquet sales, early
identification of weak periods, implementing yield management practices.
Food and Beverage Promotion
Monitor the success of F&B promotion programs. Take corrective actions as required.
Monitor sales levels in order to take steps to reverse negative sales trends.
Maintain credit policies at Front Office, Sales and Catering.
Attend credit meetings and assist in developing action plans, supervise collections of major
accounts, review of aging reports and approval of write-offs.
Front Office Management
Regular review of Front Office results in order to maximize room revenue.
Identify problem areas and initiate solutions.
- Represent the hotel within the local community, positioning the hotel as a good corporate citizen
that is involved and supportive of community affairs.
Policies and Procedures
- Assure that all Company policies and procedures are fully implemented throughout the hotel.
- All other duties as assigned, requested or deemed necessary by management.
A four-year college degree or equivalent education/experience
Previous experience as General Manager at a similar size and type of hotel.
- Must have demonstrated success in executing programming and activation consistent with the
unique vision of a lifestyle and/or independent hotel.
Requires advanced knowledge of the hospitality and business management fields.
Requires considerable working knowledge of other major areas and the skill to integrate and
communicate that information.
- Requires studying, analyzing and interpreting complex activities or information in order to improve
known practices or develop new approaches.
- Ability to make decisions with only general policies and procedures for guidance and keeping the
General Manager informed of general direction.
- Requires highly developed communication skills to frequently negotiate, convince, sell and influence
other managerial personnel, hotel guests and/or corporate clients.
- Must have excellent speech and written skills in order to communicate with managers, guests and
- Must have excellent literacy skills necessary for reports, policies and procedures.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to
successfully perform the essential functions of thisjob. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Must have vision ability in order to visually inspect hotel.
Must have mobility to walk through the front and the back of the hotel.
Climbing approximately 20-30 steps 10% of the week.
Physically able to regularly inspect all areas of interior and exterior of facility.
General office and hotel environment
Eligible to participate in Sage Bonus Program
Medical, dental, & vision insurance
Health savings and flexible spending accounts
Basic Life and AD&D insurance
Company-paid short-term disability
Eligible to participate in the Company’s 401(k) program with employer matching
Employee assistance program
Great discounts on Hotels, Restaurants, and much more.
Eligible to participate in the Employee Referral Bonus Program. Up to $1,000 per referral.
Position Type: Regular Full-Time
Property : Hotel Van Zandt
Category: General Manager
Address : 605 Davis St
City : Austin
State : Texas
EOE Protected Veterans/Disability